International

Ebola outbreak risk in Congo at ‘very high’ level: World Health Organization

The World Health Organization (WHO) said at a press conference on Friday (May 22) that the organization has raised the risk of Ebola outbreak in the African country of Congo from ‘high’ to ‘very high’. The BBC reported this information in a report today (May 23).
The WHO Director-General said that the new assessment showed that the risk of transmission at the national level is ‘very high’. At the regional level, the risk is ‘high’ and at the global level, the risk is ‘low’. The virus has also spread to Uganda. According to WHO data, so far 82 people have been diagnosed with Ebola infection. Seven of them have died. In addition, there have been about 750 suspected infections and 177 suspected deaths.
The WHO Director-General also said that this year’s Ebola outbreak is caused by the ‘Bundibugyo’ virus, against which there is still no approved drug or vaccine.