International

Russian attack on Kiev overnight, 14 killed

Russian forces carried out a large-scale drone and missile attack on the Ukrainian capital Kiev on Wednesday night (August 27). At least 14 people, including three children, were killed and 38 injured in the attack, the BBC reported on Thursday (August 28), citing Ukrainian officials. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described the attack as Russia’s “response to diplomacy”. In a post on social media, he said, “Russia has chosen ballistic missiles instead of the negotiating table. Instead of stopping the killing, it is taking the path of continuing the war.” He called for new sanctions on Russia. Kiev city authorities said the attack caused extensive damage to residential buildings and various structures in seven districts of the city. Rescue and search operations are underway. Emergency services are trying to find people trapped under the rubble and are working to control the fire. The Ukrainian Air Force said it had shot down 563 of 598 drones and 26 of 31 missiles fired by Russia over the country. The air force reported 13 hits and 26 debris hits. “Unfortunately, the pattern of Russian attacks is quite familiar – a combination of attacks from different directions and attacks targeting ordinary residential buildings,” Timur Tkachenko, the head of the military administration in Kiev, said in a Telegram post. Meanwhile, Moscow’s Defense Ministry said 102 Ukrainian drones had been shot down by Russian air defense systems. It added that the drones had attempted to hit at least seven areas.